“I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.”Frank Herbet, Dune
References and Resources
- Donnelly E, Siebert D. Occupational risk factors in the emergency medical services. Prehosp Disaster Med. 2009 Sep-Oct;24(5):422-9. doi: 10.1017/s1049023x00007251. PMID: 20066645.
- Jahnke, S. (2015, April 7). Firefighters and alcohol: What the data says. FireRescue1. https://www.firerescue1.com/fire-chief/articles/2150808-Firefighters-and-alcohol-what-the-data-says/.
- Barber, E. (2020, December 12). Survey Reveals Alarming Rates of EMS Provider Stress and Thoughts of Suicide. JEMS. https://www.jems.com/special-topics/survey-reveals-alarming-rates-of-ems-provider-stress-and-thoughts-of-suicide/.
- National Association of Emergent Medical Technicians. (n.d.). EMS Mental Health. NAEMT. https://www.naemt.org/initiatives/ems-mental-health.
- Scott Weingart, MD FCCM. Podcast 118 – EMCrit Book Club – On Combat by Dave Grossman. EMCrit Blog. Published on February 23, 2014. Accessed on June 7th 2021. Available at [https://emcrit.org/emcrit/emcrit-book-club-on-combat-by-grossman/ ].
- Grossman, D., & Christensen, L. W. (2008). On combat: The psychology and physiology of deadly conflict in war and in peace. Millstadt, IL: Warrior Science Pub.
- Taleb, N. N. (2012). Antifragile: Things that gain from disorder. New York: Random House.
- Heid, M. (2020, December 18). The ‘Mantra Effect’: How Talking to Yourself Can Change Your Mind. Medium. https://elemental.medium.com/the-mantra-effect-how-talking-to-yourself-can-change-your-mind-9c7c66bcfb29.
- Ligneris, B. des. (2019, December 27). How Reframing Negative Experiences Can Make You Happier. Medium. https://betterhumans.pub/how-reframing-negative-experiences-can-make-you-happier-5aa2a70654ed.